Helping you make a difference: Easy, low-cost ways to achieve a green workplace
Consumers keep increasing the pressure on companies to go green. And as those companies, we want to do the right thing! One way, of course, is to buy carbon offsets. But before you spend the money, first consider an easier, virtually cost-free way for your business to go green.
The David Suzuki Foundation offers five simple ways to reduce your carbon footprint:
- 1. Quit commuting by car. Instead, use public transit or, if possible, walk or ride a bike to work.
- 2. At the end of the day, turn off devices that use power and unplug devices that draw power on stand-by when you turn them off.
- 3. Stop using toxic cleaners at work and at home.
- 4. Re-use, recycle and compost wherever possible.
- 5. Cut down your use of water and stop buying bottled water to drink.
To the above five steps, Forbes Magazine recommends that you also:
- – Make sure the paper products you use are from post-consumer waste.
- – If you haven’t done so already, change all your lights to energy-efficient fluorescents or LEDs.
- – Use green web hosting for your Internet services.
There is one more important thing you can do…
Recycle your toner cartridges!
Every year, over half a billion used toner cartridges get dumped into landfills around the world, along with many tens of millions of empty ink jet cartridges.
At your end, at least, you can stop most of that waste. Recycle your cartridges and use sustainable cartridges whenever possible.
Digitech has an excellent program for recycling toner and OEM cartridges. Check out the program on our blog!